When the ABC aired its Agents of Influence story in 2023, Mark Kentwell was a central figure.
Marketed as an expose that lifted the veil of secrecy on the real estate industry, the program questioned the reputation Mark had built over more than 20 years, through a tireless work ethic and commitment to innovation and excellence.
In this episode of the Elevate podcast, hosted by Samantha McLean, Mark opens up about his “biggest test to date”, how he coped with the damage to both his personal and professional reputation and how he has come out the other side a stronger and better person.
He reveals the strategies he used to keep positive, including how focusing on his biology, psychology and his environment enabled him to handle the adversity in the best mental and physical shape possible.
Mark and Sam also discuss how he tackled the fallout from the controversy with clear communication with his team, the clients and competitors.
He also takes a deep dive into how he has moved into a new era, rebranding to Presence and focusing on building a business that is a destination for top talent to grow exceptional careers.
“One thing for me that rings true in this regard is that the universe will never deliver you a scenario to deal with that you can’t handle.” – Mark Kentwell.
Sam and Mark also discuss:
- 2:12 – Navigating the storm: How Mark coped with negative media attention, channelled it into an opportunity to “level up”, and emerged stronger and more grateful than ever.
- 4:11 – Rising above: Uncover keys for personal and professional growth and how to move beyond setbacks to excel as an individual, a leader, and real estate agent.
- 6:01 – Unity in adversity: How the Presence team rallied during a difficult period, including the pivotal role clear communication and transparency played in maintaining team cohesion and resilience.
- 11:55 – Control the controllables: How Mark harnessed his biology and psychology, and shaped his environment to keep moving forward, both mentally and physically.
- 15:45 – Ethical foundations: The ethical landscape of real estate, the changes that are needed, and how grassroots movements can drive an evolution.
- 20:00 – The agent’s mantra: Discover the ‘Be, Do, Have’ philosophy and why it’s critical for every real estate agent’s success.
- 23:58 – Facing the fallout: How to address negative publicity with clients and competitors, and rebuild a brand.
- 27:45 – Team empowerment: How Presence fosters team development, support, and focus on its vision, cultivating inner strength and unity.
- 31:00 – Evolving presence: How Presence decided on its new business model, the vision to become a top talent destination and how to craft a holistic legacy.
- 36:20 – Exclusive insights: Looking to the future with Mark’s exclusive, immersive, training program with Elite Agent coming up in March.